I am sending this care package to my Opa (grandpa) who lives in Germany. I only see him once a year at most and the rest of the time we email each other and I post pictures on Facebook so he is able to see what is happening in my life. However, he has macular degeneration which causes him to have poor vision and see very little. That does not stop him from looking at images through magnifying glasses and using tools that will read to him. That is why I sent some things that have meaning to my life to keep him updated and also some postcards so he can read what they said, one postcard is from Hannover and one is from Yosemite. He loves travelling so I figured the postcards and the picture of the map would be nice together. Also I am sending him a first place ribbon I got when I was on swim team for nine years. I included a lanyard from Long Beach so he has something from the school I am attending. I added an ornament that is meant to look like a Starbucks Frappuccino because I love Starbucks. I included a picture from one of our projects “Landscape with a Corpse” because he loves art and telling me how proud he is of my school work. The sunglasses were bought in Germany close to his house when I went to visit and the pictures of the two boys are of my little cousins. They like to hear stories of the boys so I sent my grandparents their school pictures. I also sent my old phone cases because I love swimming and the other one had pictures of chocolate bar wrappers on it from Germany also. So most of the package was about me and things that I hold close to me because I know my Opa likes to hear about that kind of stuff. I had fun making it and thinking about what he might like to hear about. I really hope he likes it and finds everything interesting.
- How is sending someone an ACP similar to sending someone a Snapchat?
It is similar to sending a Snapchat because people are able to see a quick glimpse into my life through images and objects.
2. How is sending someone an ACP different from sending them a Snapchat?
It is different because these care packages can last a lifetime. They do not disappear after a few seconds. These packages can keep sentimental items and be used as a gift.
3. What do you think of ephemera? Is it precious? Or trash? Does it gain in value over time?
I think some things are able to gain value over time. If it has meaning to you personally then it will have meaning later on as well. Because it is fun and personal to view things from the past from childhood or from other family members. It opens new doors to learn something new and connect on a deeper level.
4. Is there a difference between art that is seen by many people, like a painting in the Museum of Modern Art, and art that is seen by few, like the ACP you send to someone?
I think art that is seen by a few can be more personal and intimate. Some artists are able to be like that even when they know many people will see it, but if it seen by few, it makes it more personal. And even the open artists might share something more that they do not often share.
5. You can take a Snapchat and a friend on the other side of the globe can view it, all within seconds. To make an ACP and send it even to a nearby friend will take days. Does this time and effort difference mean something? How is fast better? How is slow better?
I think the reasons it would be better being fast is because then you can get your point across quickly and get a response quickly. Also you do not have to worry about whether or not the package will get lost in the mail. However, when it takes longer, there is more meaning to the package and there is more incentive to make the wait worth it by putting in really meaningful objects.
6. People sometimes say things like prepare a meal with love. Can you prepare a meal with love as fast as you can get food at a McDonald’s drive-thru? Does an ACP have the possibility of containing a sort of “love” different from a Snapchat?
I think there is a different love in a care package than in a snapchat. Because there are more than one objects. It is not just one picture that will disappear in ten seconds. A care package can have meaningful pictures and momentums. It can bring joy to someones life by reminding them of things or showing them m0re about you.